The Hillsboro Public Library began in 1926 by members of the Mentor Study Club, a federated women’s group.
The purpose of the library is to make available the books, materials, and services that will meet the wide range of interests and needs represented by the public it serves.
The role of the public library is to provide opportunity and encouragement for children, young people, men, and women to educate themselves continually.
Membership in North Central Kansas Libraries System and Kansas Interlibrary Loan Network extends the possibilities for meeting these interests and needs beyond the capabilities of the local public library.
In 1976, the Hillsboro Public Library marked its golden anniversary by moving for the first time into headquarters specifically designed and built for library use. Anyone is welcome to use the library for reference, reading, and browsing.