Welcome to the Hillsboro Public Library’s Internet access. This access is made available to library patrons through Eagle Communications. The Hillsboro Public Library does not monitor and has no control over the information accessed through the Internet and cannot be held responsible for its content. Not all sources on the Internet provide accurate, complete or current information. You need to be a good information consumer, questioning the validity of the information you find. Public Internet computers utilize filtering provided through the State Library of Kansas.
Internet service and Wi-Fi is made available to meet the information and educational needs of persons who do not have computer or Internet access at their home or place of business. The following are rules/guidelines for accessing the Internet at Hillsboro Public Library:
1. The user must be a registered card holder IN GOOD STANDING at the Hillsboro Public Library. All fines and fees must be paid before using the Internet. Area residents are required to become library patrons. An exception to this would be a person checking e-mail while visiting Hillsboro.
2. User (or parent/guardian if patron is under 18 years of age) must read and sign library’s INTERNET USE AGREEMENT. Children under the age of 10 are allowed use of the terminal only if accompanied by an adult. Other than an adult accompanying a child, there is a limit of two people per computer.
3. There is no reserve time. A time limit of 1 HOUR PER DAY is maximum. The computer will be made available within 15 minutes after being informed by staff that another person is waiting. There is a sign up sheet at the front desk. Patrons waiting to use the Internet computer are asked to wait at another desk or in the reading area. Please do not disturb the person currently using the computer.
4. The Hillsboro Public Library and its staff are not responsible for the Internet information selected and/or accessed. Parents may restrict their children from access to internet resources accessible through the library. Parents are always advised to supervise their children’s Internet sessions.
5. Users MAY NOT use his/her own software programs on Hillsboro Public Library computers. Patrons may burn information to a CD or DVD. Those are for sale for a nominal fee. Patrons may also save information to their own flash drive.
6. There will be a charge for each copy made from the computer. All sheets printed are to be paid for regardless of their value to the patron. Users are encouraged to ask staff for help before printing.
7. Patrons MAY NOT utilize CHAT ROOMS or play games on Hillsboro Public Library internet access computers. There are other computers designated for games. There is an AWE Learning Station available in the children’s area for educational games.
8. Activities determined by staff to be inappropriate (for example pornography or chat rooms) is against policy and will cause patron to lose rights to use the computer.
9. MISUSE OF COMPUTERS IN ANY WAY will result in the loss of computer privileges. MISUSE INCLUDES:
*Making adjustments/changes to computer settings.
*Destruction or damage to equipment.
*Harassing, Libeling, or slandering other users.
*Other unauthorized usage to be determined by library staff/board.
— Hillsboro Public Library is not responsible for damage to your disk or computer, or for any loss of data, damage or liability that may occur from patron use of library computers.
— Hillsboro Public Library staff may occasionally check history of Internet to determine patron usage.